Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Operation Get-Your-Neighbors-Fat

On Sunday after The Nutcracker, I loaded the boys into the Double Bob and E & I walked around handing out our cookie tins.  Out of the five neighbors we made tins for only one was home, so I hope the other four had a happy surprise on their doorstep when they got home.  In the tins were magic cookie bars, sugar cookies, gingerbread men, pretzel kiss candies, and snickerdoodles.

Later that night I got a call from the neighbor next door to us.  She was calling before she ate anything because she thought we left the tin on the wrong porch. I thought that was kind of funny. I would have eaten the treats and asked questions later.  She is home bound and I haven't met her once in the two years that we've lived here. I am familiar with her husband and he is often out walking their dog or in his backyard which abuts ours.  He'll talk to the kids and Ellie will yell at his dog.  Today I received a Christmas card from her saying everything was delicious. Yay!

I would like to make this a yearly tradition. If I made time to make the cookies this year with sick kids, moving plans and the regular hustle and bustle of the holidays. I am sure I should be able to make time every year. Besides being a very neighborly (I like that word) thing to do I feel it's a great tradition for Ellie and I.  She liked helping me and I really enjoyed her company.

No comments:

Post a Comment