Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Soft Taco Bake Pie & Stuffed Pepper Recipes!


Here they are!! I substitute a lot of the ingredients for FF or LF so I don't gain a million pounds with this pregnancy because I can't seem to STOP eating, so feel free to improvise as you'd like!

Soft Taco Bake Pie
4 tortilla wraps
1 can of refried beans or kidney beans
1 jar of salsa (16 oz)
1 cup of shredded cheese (I like the taco blend!)
1 lb. of ground meat (you can make this with turkey, beef or chicken)
1 packet of taco seasoning (or you can just make your own - google it)
sour cream
shredded lettuce

1. Heat your oven to 400 degrees while you are browning and seasoning your meat.
2. In a 2 qt. casserole dish layer your: tortilla, beans, salsa, meat, and cheese
3. Top your casserole with a little extra cheese
4. Place in the oven for 20 minutes - or until the cheese is melted
5. Garnish each individual serving with shredded lettuce and a dollop of sour cream.
Serves 4-6

It's really a quick and easy recipe. You can buy a kit from Old El Paso that contains the tortillas, taco seasoning and some cheese sauce, but the amount of sodium you'll be consuming when you're done is nuts!

When I make this I use FF sour cream, FF refried beans, whole wheat tortillas and reduced fat cheese. I either make my own seasoning or buy a packet of the reduced sodium taco seasoning.


Stuffed Peppers
4 green bell peppers
1 cup of brown rice
2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 lb of hamburg or turkey (I use turkey)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp garlic powder
a little shredded cheese
salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook your brown rice using the chicken broth
2. While your rice is cooking, brown the meat with the onion
3. Clean the seeds and ribs from your peppers, (you can just cut the tops off or cut them in half), blanch 2-3 minutes, don't overcook
4. Mix meat mixture, rice, seasoning and tomato sauce.
5. Place peppers in baking dish and fill with stuffing.
6. Top each pepper with a little bit of cheese
7. Bake at 350 for 20 or so minutes.
Serves 4-6

You can just make the rice in water, but I like the extra flavor the chicken broth gives the dish. Again, you can make this with turkey or hamburg, but turkey is the healthier option. The peppers are even better the next day! I'll try to take a picture of the Stuffed Peppers tonight if I remember and I'll post it here later!

Let me know if you try either of the recipes! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment